Tuesday, March 23, 2010

the long goodbye

I distinctly remember the sinking feeling that I had one day as I peered out the bathroom window at my daddy on a tractor hauling hay for the horse, in the snow of course. Out of the blue it hit me that someday he wouldn't be able to do that and I would be very sad about it. Fortunately, or perhaps by grace, my brother stepped into his shoes and used what he had learned as a farmer's son to make some very distinct improvements in the lay of the land. There has been enough heavy equipment around here to dig a hole to China and all the mud that goes with it.....

Today has been good exercise what with the monkey grass cutting and the tree transplant/pruning expedition. Most of the dead stuff is stomped on or chopped down, leaving way for spring to do its' magic. I was taking a break on the 'puter when someone pecked on the storm door. I turned around to find my daddy standing there waiting for a tour of the yard. His daily walk had led him right up the lane to where his babygirls live.

I offered to give him a lift home but he wanted to walk so I watched him as he sauntered down the lane stopping to lift his khaki work pants quite often, and pausing to stare at the sights. Thanks to the dirt mover and silo fixer, the tin has been replaced on top of the barn and it makes such a lovely picture, especially in the sun. Which we have had all day!

Often I speak of faith and grace and blessings in my own smartass way and I'm sure some tightass conservative just draws up in knots on a Sunday morning thinking about my kind of spirituality. How dare I not follow the rules? I am against war, for any reason other than homeland security as in "war on gangs" I don't like the reality of abortion, but I think that there's a kinder gentler way to approach the issue of birth control rather than shooting people. My world and yours needs to green up...and quick. Grow something and use the natural mulch that leaves such provide instead of paying some guy in a truck to dump pine in the yard. Support your local businesses and go to the farmer's market. It beats the hell out of going to megamart.

Anyway, I guess Daddy made it home with the buttercups he picked for Mama. She'll love 'em.

3 comments:

  1. I love reading this post. I can see your daddy walking down that lane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's sweet, the buttercups. My kids used to do that for their mama all the time. Them and dandelions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something about the calming reassurance of a Daddy being there....
    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete