Tuesday, September 15, 2009

takin' the high road

Today was the first of my three day stretch acting as the "voice of the lab" up at that front desk where who the hell knows what's gonna show up. As expected during this seasonal flu thing, there were many snotty nosed coughing kids with masks, referred by a pediatrician who knows better than to send them up in our house to expose the bystanders and such. She's an epidemiologist, got God's sake. This is where the lines get blurry on the medical ethics thing. Do you protect the in-patients and well out-patients or satisfy the public demand for a test that may or may not be correct. The outcome is the same, whether you've got the flu or not. Stay home and take something to keep the fever down and the squirts at bay. So far, it looks like the under 20 set has been the most affected in our region. I'm considering takin' a kit or two over to her office and training the personnel myself, just for fun. I'm also considering a totally different vocation because corporate healthcare just ain't where it's at these days in my game plan.

One last member of the pack showed up last night for face painting and we obliged. Two Dogs is a native American with a story ya'll wouldn't believe if I told it. Only reason I can figure that she showed up in our lives is that Big Ernie arranged it in his magical mystical way. I'll tell you straight up, this girl can drink me under the table before I've ever had a chance to get started.

Got those pansies planted with a punkin' and mum to boot. Mom and Ms. Ann went vacuum cleaner shopping today and scored, so it looks like there's some cleaning of carpets in our future. Phase II of fall cleaning, dont'cha know. I'd much rather be doing that than flu and strep tests.

Cousin Deb called from KY the other day to give me a heads up on a clinical trial for dementia patients in Paducah. At this point, it looks like a lot of trouble and travel with not much of a different outcome. Some people, when they old, just lose their minds. Their caregivers are the ones who are stretched to the limit.

I'm looking forward to cooler and less humid weather to get out with the camera and play a bit. BG loaded up my birthday present with tunes so I'm good to go on escaping from reality with music. Her 25th is coming up next week and I'm stumped about what to give her. I asked for a cheese grater so I just may give her one so we can both use it. Ours is antique and rusty.

Yes, I know it's bedtime. Angie has this contest going on where we tell about how you got to be a country dweller and ya'll know I'm all about a story. Stay tuned.

^j^

1 comment:

  1. Dr. Oz said today that people who take prescription drugs ought to have a 2 month supply on hand in case they get the flu, so they don't have to go out to get more. Sounds like a good plan to me.

    ReplyDelete