Saturday, June 24, 2023

gator time

Bubba and Sadie scooped me up for a visit to the bottoms where the farmers are working. It was kind of fascinating to see the lush green areas close to the river vs the baby plants busting out of the hard dirt.  The old riverbed is still there with one entrance where Flatt does his fishing back where Joe and Ernest used to go.  The field corn is not far from tasseling but I don't eat that.  Just give me some sweet corn and squash and I'm happy.

It's such a small small world. I attended a luncheon yesterday where some awards were presented to those who are involved with the PADD coalition and one of them was a distant cousin.  I was totally impressed with all that these people do with the partnerships they have formed, especially for early intervention with tobacco use, binge drinking and prescription drug use.  That's why I love being a stringer.  You learn something new with every interview.  

I made a Kroger run this morning and once again I'm amazed at how much food costs.  One of our staples when I was growing up was pot roast.  I price checked today and they are twenty bucks plus.  I spent 72 bucks which should get me through until another payday.  I think back to how my mother fed a family of five and realize that Daddy's garden was a necessity for us to survive.  He had an electric pea sheller that he used for purple hulls that made the task much easier and kept the freezer full.  To this day they are still my favorite.

It's about to be 100ish every day so y'all stay cool and be blessed ^j^  Love ya....mean it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment