Tuesday, October 26, 2021

civil liberty

There seems to be a little tiff going on with our city council about allowing food trucks which are fully licensed and inspected to do business in Dyersburg.  These are small business type folks who have put their heart and soul into startups during a very tough year.  Why would a thriving city not want that?  The answer is clear to me:  politics.  You think they're an eyesore?  Don't go there.  You want good food at a reasonable price?  By all means support them.  One of my mentors is a man who had a vision way beyond his time and created The Mill Workspace.  Since Bill Haslam was governor, Chris has done everything in his power to develop the love of creating your own business and having a co-working space suitable for meetings or small offices.  

He has helped to develop the lower end of Mill Street by introducing Buff City Soap, next to Pennington Seed and Supply.  There is a small boutique on the corner and an upscale thrift store across the street.   There is a restaurant and a lot of legal offices on the square with another boutique located across the court house.  This is what runs America, not Chinese imports.  The Farmer's Market and Forked Deer river trail are all easily accessible from  this intersection.  On the east side of the square there is a nutrition bar and an empty hardware store with a nice little sitting area in between.  That was built when there was a dream.  

One of the biggest draws in Dyer County was the Boss Hoss rally.  For some reason the powers that be decided that it was "too much trouble" so the owner packed his show up and moved to Paris.  Now they get the revenue.  I know a lot of this is motivated by supposedly well meaning people.  The Dyer County Community Cancer Fund still does their thing by the courthouse.  Politicians stand in line to be seen there and shake hands.  It's legacy.  My daddy and Joe Wood used to fry taters and onions for that thing every year,  Jeff Jones took their places ;)

Much of Dyer county is a food desert.  There are a few grocery stores out on the North highway but nothing between the downtown Burg to Halls.  Man, if I had the money I'd put one out about a mile past my house close to the airport.  A real store there would kick the 'gentral's ass.  If you would like that opportunity....call me.  I'll be the greeter.

I've gone around the Medicare world twice and decided to stick with what I have and find a sugardaddy to pay for ostomy supplies.  Drugs and co-pays are reasonable.  I haven't been in the hospital since Medicare kicked in but I'm assuming I'm responsible for the 20% that B doesn't cover.  What is wrong with this picture y'all?  I'm an old freakin' lady on a limited income.  

And don't EVEN get me started on the fact that insurance pays nothing on preventive therapy like MFR.  FSA will reimburse you if you happen to have one.  It's time for my mammo and pap smear so here's to Breast Cancer Awareness month.  It'll probably be December before I can get an appointment.

Y'all be blessed ^j^




No comments:

Post a Comment