Saturday, April 21, 2012

old school

Out of the blue last night, my oldest guy friend in the world called to catch up on the state of us and the grands. Our parents were best friends for fifty years and both of his are gone so he claims mine. Last time he visited Daddy took him out on the gator for a farm ride, knowing with every turn which path leads to what landmark. When you walk a place for fifty plus years you tend to know when every fence post was put down. We talk two or three times a year, usually during a Friday night "happy hour" by phone. Tim was part of the percussion section (which my uncle Jim totally didn't like) who had that smartass attitude collectively. Come to think of it a lot of band members did! It's a comfort to know that there's somebody who knows, if not everything about me, the basic history of how I came to be who I am today. Whatever that means ;) BG is gone to do pre-wedding things with our friend who will become a Mrs. in June. WE go all the way back to when her family lived in South Dyersburg...before two floods in a row cleaned the place out. If there's another one this year, I'm headed to Figi on a slow boat. Sometimes you just have to listen to your gut. I've got seeds warming in the kitchen under a thin covering to hold moisture in. Not sure if they'll make it, but what the heck. I remember having a little seed kit as a Santa Claus gift one time and I was amazed at how things grow! I guess it stuck. I brought home some stuffed dolls for the puppies to tug on and they're having a ball with 'em. They now run in a loose pack, our three big ones with the pups right on their heels. They're being taught by their elders to watch out for (1) the spoiled rotten horse who wanders every damn where (2) the yellow school buses that run twice a day and (3) how to drag up dead stuff. That's country living for ya. I rarely cook anything really fattening or greasy but last night seemed like a perfect opportunity to fry some chicken tenders in the iron skillet, in the style of my mother the ultimate southern cook. Oh.My. Today is a stay in your jammies kind because it's cloudy and cold. That suits me just fine. There's nothing better than a day where you don't even have to get out of the house. If any breaking news comes up, ya'll let me know. I'm sort of out of the loop. Peace ^j^

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a bit more of a relaxed attitude. That's a good thing. Hugs and prayers

    ReplyDelete