Wednesday, June 10, 2009

we are impressive

I kid you not, I've got not one but TWO t-shirts from the day job with that slogan smeared all over the back. I cut the sleeves out of one to sleep in and the other one has mud and grass stains all over the front from spontaneous yard work. So dooce me right now, ya'll. That's what corporate America does with their faithful old horses, right? The really pitiful thing is that I see possibilites and nobody up in there imagines the vision except for me. They're all just passing time and gettin' a check, trying to survive in these tough economic times. Well, except for the ones who get big fat bonuses for feeding Wall Street. Healthcare? Rubber compounding? Not much difference these days. It's all about dotting i's and crossing t's so that the feds don't kick your corporate ass down to the poor house.

BG and I talk a lot about opportunities for change at the point where change is a realistic possibility, like in early childhood education and end of life care. The rest is just the middle of the sandwich of life...a life that most folks waste chasing after something elusive like happiness or skinniness or sexiness or richiness. After thirty three years as a data processer I find myself looking for something a little bit more "out of the box" and on a personal level. Perhaps the fact that I have elderly home bound parents has something to do with that change of heart. Maybe I'm just in a mood...I dunno.

You won't find this old gal bitching about party lines and such these days because it has always been thus and so and it's certainly not about who's president or even who's at bat. Everyone has an opinion about how the game should be played and who should be in charge. The way I see it, each of us has the power to shape our futures and that of our children and grandchildren if only our priorities take a kinder gentler turn. Hate crime laws and 24/7 patrols dodging IEDs aren't worth a damn if somebody doesn't take the first step toward paying it forward with faith that what goes around comes around.

The incessant bitching about who's right and who is wrong goes all the way back to biblical times. My prayer is that sometime soon the debate will turn toward a live and let live attitude for all of Big Ernie's kids.

Never hurts to throw it out there, ya know? Sometimes miracles happen.

^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment