Monday, August 10, 2015

cards and letters

So much of today's communication is digital that it's a real treat to receive something hand addressed and delivered by the mail  person du jour.  One of the things about when  you have a death in the family is that if you don't do computers, there's always the USPS.  I got several today and felt comfort.  People say that when the cards stop coming, that's when it's time to move on to Chapter Next.  My friend JenBWag up in WV authored that site and now works as an advocate for patients with Alzheimer disease.  Note to self: we will eventually all have it.  The end of life experience can be so full of joy if family members can just let go with grace and dignity.
My poor frail little mother is kinda' sorta' looking ahead but not really because we still don't know what the date is or who made the deviled eggs.  Daddy could always tell the doctor that little factoid because he kept up with the calendar.  And the clock. And the teevee.  I wish I could describe to you the look on her face when Joe began to sing "Morning Has Broken".  She can't see faces and was kind of in a tizzy but after the first three words, she turned to me and said "It's him!"  Dude can sing, just saying.  We did many a Living Last Supper Mark Locke edition that usually occupied the entire Lenten season for choir practice.  Daddy and I did that together.   We sang cantatas and worship and all kinds of songs, most in the front of that Methodist church on the corner of Main and McGaughey.  That was after he converted from Southern Baptist.

My day was thankfully light and I got to ease back into the real world.  I stopped by the home to see what their rooms look like and it's as Hoss would say  "not bad"  There is room for about four pieces of furniture with a shared bath and a nice neighbor.  Hell if I could afford it I'd live there myself!   But nooo...I must continue to toil at the hands of corporate.  Considering the way they have cared for me and mine, I'll take it for now.

Grace~




No comments:

Post a Comment