Thursday, November 5, 2009

fields of gold

I remember now why I like autumn so much...it's always been my favorite season. The colors and shadows blend in a way that look like Norman Rockwell painted them just for me. The pecan trees lining our lane are almost bare this year, but I still had a bag in the freezer from the end of last year so they're cracked and ready to roast. I tend to *never stop* during the longer days so it's a real treat to switch gears and ease into darkness at 5PM. Old Poops could easily become a bear :)

I've been working on the house some. Now that I know I'll be staying here for awhile it pays to insulate window frames and hunker down for the winter. Mama's seventy sixth birthday is coming up and we're planning a girl party for her. She does so enjoy the finer things about being female like luncheons and such. That is something that the BG and I can certainly handle without breakin' a sweat. If we can just keep the place clean for two weeks!

The sunsets on this hill when the leaves are gone tend to be breathtaking as it sinks down below the river. There is a bean field across the road that hasn't been cut yet and the fading rays do this strange little pattern over them like a golden prism or something. My favorite sunsets are the ones in winter with all those pastels plastered across the sky. See. Low maintenance.

BG and the sometimes off again on again roommate are talking about leaving the nest together in the spring...something that I knew would happen eventually. The timing seems right, and they've worked through a boatload of issues during the past couple of years. I think they're ready, and I think I am too. I opened the mailbox today to find a small package from the vet's office to our family. Inside was one of those little clay handprint thingies like you make in kindergarten, only it had a paw with Butterbean's name below it. The tears welled up again, but I saw it as an angel thing. The oxalis I plant over her will bloom in the spring. That, my friends, is faith.

^j^

^j^

4 comments:

  1. Them there vets you got? They're angels, maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so sweet of them to send you a paw print of Butterbean. How sweet is that?
    Still doling out the pecans you sent. They are so good. Thanks again.
    Where is that box of cloth?
    ~a

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was very nice of the vet. I just picked Layla up from the vet, she is no longer a fully functioning female. I just love my vet, they are so understanding.
    Oxalis is a great choice.
    Hugs and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about Butters :( Hope you're ok. Call if you need me.

    I just found your blog after looking EVERYWHERE so I tagged ya in mine.

    ReplyDelete