Friday, September 30, 2016

taters and onions

My daddy was famous for his volunteer work and one thing that really put him on everybody's radar was fried 'taters and onions which he and Joe Wood cooked by the hundreds of pounds at the annual Moody Wadley benefit BBQ.  Back in the day that's where we bought all our vehicles and the yearly benefit was part of the American Cancer Society fund raising.  As time passed, folks became weary of supporting a national organization with high administrative costs so the Community Cancer Fund was born where all money raised goes to benefit local cancer patients.  As I drove through downtown this morning I passed the setup in progress and saw none other than our road commissioner Jeff Jones in the middle of the street preparing to carry on the tradition my Daddy and Joe had started.  

I got a notice yesterday from the church of a memorial in Mama's memory which I haven't seen in months.  That brought me back to how recent the losses are and how they stay with me.  On the way home I had a quick vision in my head of that empty log cabin looking all beautiful and began to cry.  Not just for me, mind you.  I cry for the family of Grace Phelps.  For those who lost Dianne Roberts.  And on and on and on.  It is a cycle that spares no one.  For Kenneth Hutson who had a stroke and for Ron who fractured his back.  For the people of Aleppo. 

Larry was back this morning with a different collar still limping but gone when I got home this afternoon.  I'm not sure what's up but my blogs aren't posting right so I guess the only traffic I'm getting is the regulars.  Maybe FB was teasing me with that smooth post layout that just went *poof* a couple of days ago.  Probably gonna make me pay for the privilege.  

Anywho, I'm all maudlin for now.  Maybe a weekend off will help!  Namaste ~

No comments:

Post a Comment