Tuesday, February 8, 2011

mediation with a side of mini-blizzard

I'm not sure what the actual technical and all legal like term is, but the way I understand the concept it's about letting by gones be by gones and looking ahead. Imagine my chagrin to find myself playing judge Poopie yesterday with my parents. I was sitting on the floor cross legged listening to both of them hurl insults at each other ( no dirty words ) and essentially find the spot where they were spent with the fussing and ready to settle down to their respective routines. As always, it's a 50/50 deal. Several months ago, daddy was ready to say to hell with it and give her a divorce if that's what would make her happy. At this point, I don't think a visit from JC himself would do the trick.

It always comes back around to being blind and dependent on others when that was never her style. Like her own mother, she was determined to live her life and enjoy every minute to the fullest. Her true vocation was writer for local newspapers, something that she kicked ass with back in the day of high society weddings and yummy recipes for showers or the fam. Everybody knows and loves her because she's just so dang good at heart. When she was still active on the church council, she came up with a homebound communion ministry that still exists today. I'm not sure what committee that happened on, but I was a faithful servant for many years. That's my kind of spirituality. Lord willing and the creek don't rise, they will celebrate their 57th wedding anniversary on Valentine's day. If I had a chance for a do-over, I couldn't even approach that kind of total devotion. I fell kinda like Lucy dispensing advice for 5 cents at a roadside stand.

It snowed again. Caught me totally off guard yesterday morning when I headed out to work and noticed the rain changing into big fat wet snow that piled up quickly on the trusty old Camry's windshield but rainex wipers did the trick. Not many wrecks this time because there was no ice and the streets cleared quickly. That's what nice about a storm that starts in the morning after you're where you've got to be for awhile. By the time schools let out at noon, it was all over. There is nothing worse than waking up to a car covered in crap that is still falling! For those of you who like me, don't have garages, high five. I guess it's time to pull out the cardboard for cover because there's another one coming.

This little composition has taken three days to wrap up because I just didn't feel finished with it somehow. You know, like it's the great american novel or something ;) Ya never know! For me personally it's just a really good form of therapy where I can share the things that are issues in my life and try to get a laugh out of them now and then. It beats crying. I'm sitting here with the chest cold from hell watching my three beautiful babies prance in the snow like little kids, running and playing like nothing else matters. That, and mucinex, makes me feel better. A little.

Snowball fight. Ya'll are it!

1 comment:

  1. You tell it like it is. And if it ain't finished then so be it.

    That kind of devotion is so rare nowadays. Though my "adopted" parents are going on 40 something years now.

    Hugs and prayers

    ReplyDelete