Sunday, August 1, 2010

turn the page

I have to say that I've never been so extremely happy to see July in the southeastern US go away in my life, but then there's August to deal with. One of my favorite memories is the year that Liz and I borrowed some money, packed our girls up and went to Gulf Shores in August. Vacations were over....kids back in school and we had the place to ourselves. That state owned beachside resort is gone now, victim of a hurricane several years ago. We took BG and her friend Melissa there when they were little. Nice place but very old. I'll never forget me and ex wandering into the Floribama just to see what it was all about, with two little girls in tow. We didn't stay for lunch :)

I have a black and white photo with me for the next few days........a three year old Poopie sittin' on the back steps of the log cabin that was my home. Bubba was three months old, and not in the picture. Probably laid up in there sleeping like a baby. To the left is my cousin Donna and on the right is KA. They've got on shorts and I'm bundled up like the abominable snowman. Each of them has a lap full of puppies and my mama's old wringer washer is in the background. She said when the second kid got born, her daddy bought her a dryer. Mom has preserved all of my childhood memories like they were her own. In many ways, I suppose they are.

There's a breeze today, so I'm headed out to enjoy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment