Monday, October 12, 2009

angel wings

My vocation as a med tech doesn't lend itself to many glamorous moments. That only happens on CSI, ya know? Most days find me hip deep in blood and other body fluids, crunching numbers and reviewing printouts so that the doctors can treat their patients, based on the results that we generate. There is very little room for error, because the clinical treatment plan hinges on test results from various lab and radiology procedures. We serve an in-patient population plus a very hefty ER load, considering our rural location. That is because many of our clients have no insurance, so that's their only option. Hordes of drug seekers clog the rooms and resources that are needed by legitimately ill patients. It's not a problem that is unique to us by any means. Healthcare at home has one advantage and that's having somebody you know to keep an eye out for you. I've done it a kazillion times for friends and family.

That part makes up for all the gross stuff we have to handle and smell. Remind me to tell ya'll some stories about collecting sperm for fertility studies back in the day. That was one time I honestly blurted out "this AIN'T in my job description!" Congratulations to my lovely friend and her hub on their pregnancy. This girl is a flat out down to earth true christian cowgirl. I love it when she glows :)

Leave a message at the *beep*

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Poopie, I DO want to know about collecting sperm!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poopie, my mother used to tell me I couldn't catch a nice girl with me having holey socks or underwear! Do you think that applies to girls and ladies too (Re: post before this one)?
    A CSI detective on our police force would Amen to you. He doesn't watch it and says the CSI gives people false hopes that things will work fast like on TV.
    ..

    ReplyDelete